Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lessons learned from THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE

I just finished THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend this book. Here's a quick summary:

Lennie plays second clarinet in the school orchestra and has always happily been second fiddle to her charismatic older sister, Bailey. Then Bailey dies suddenly, and Lennie is left at sea without her anchor. Overcome by emotion, Lennie soon finds herself torn between two boys: Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, and Joe, the charming and musically gifted new boy in town. While Toby can't see her without seeing Bailey and Joe sees her only for herself, each offers Lennie something she desperately needs. But ultimately, it's up to Lennie to find her own way toward what she really needs—without Bailey.


Here are the lessons I learned from this beautifully written story:

The power of pacing--The author skipped ahead to parts that mattered. When she wanted the reader invested in a scene, holy cow, she slowed it down until each touch, breath, and heartbeat was savored at an agonizingly slow pace. I literally held my breath during some scenes, and felt all tingly. If you've read the book, you know what I mean.

Antagonists can be ambiguous--Craft books suggest that stories must have an antagonist, or an opposition character. I still can't nail down who the antagonist was in this story (if you've read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this). Was it Toby, Lennie's sister's boyfriend? Was it grief? Loneliness? Fear?

An author can find clever ways to reveal character--Lennie's thoughts were not journalized in an ordinary way. Her poetry was written on the backs of candy wrappers, on discarded coffee cups, and carved into trees. We learned her innermost thoughts and fears through her words. At first I thought this was random, but in the end, the author tied these moments together in a beautiful way.

A story's climax doesn't have to be a shoot-em-up chase scene--It can simply be a scene where we wonder, Will he forgive her? Will they come together and accept the past and forge ahead? Can this "companion pony" brave a new world without her "thoroughbred" sister?

I'm in good company with my love for this book. Check out Tahereh's post "Are you there Jandy? It's me, Tahereh."

What's your opinion of these lessons? And what has a great book taught you?



27 comments:

  1. I think antagonists can be ambiguous. I didn't have a real 'villain' in my book. Think the main character was his own worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lessons you’ve pointed out, are lesson I want to master. If I can get a better sense of how to do that by reading this book then considers it done.

    I think my story would be stronger—by jumping ahead—my biggest problem is doing it in a manner that flows.

    Great post, and thx for all you do…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many great things about this book. It's definitely on my list. Thanks for sharing these lessons, too. I love hearing what other writers learn about writing from their reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a touching story. Thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I read Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones I learn something new, pleased you found one that speaks to you. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. I knew I needed to add this to my TBR list. It sounds wonderful, and I love what you've taken from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie,
    ...sounds like a great book and I've done with it what i do with all titles I want to read; put it on a post-it note and placed it in a pile...someday I will catch up with all my books to be read!
    It's interesting...when I read I read for 'reading' sake, not necessarily to critique it so I really couldn't tell you!
    I enjoyed your lessons though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree on ambiguous characters--I love it when a story has no central villain, or when the villain is more of an unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, I haven't read this book, but after your description I'm going to! Wanted to weigh in on your antagonist question. I don't know who it is not having read it, but one reason people sometimes have trouble figuring out who it is, is that they think in terms of "heroes" and "villains." That causes one to think in terms of one-dimensional characters, ala Snidely Whiplash vs Dudley Doright--cardboard characters. A better definition of an antagonist is "the person whose goals conflict with those of the protagonist's." In Thelma & Louise, for a great example, the protagonist is Thelma and the antagonist is Hal the cop. Her goal--keep and/or gain her freedom (from men). His goal? To catch her--first to keep her from going to prison and lastly to keep her from being killed. Hardly a "villain" type! To figure out who the antagonist is, simply figure out the protagonist's goal and then see whose goal conflicts with hers. Doesn't have to be a "villain-type" at all. Could easily be her best friend and a thoroughly good person. Thinking in those terms is counterproductive to writers, imo. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book too. It's very literary and character driven but high concept, so no, I don't think there is an antagonist. If there is, it's grief. And Lennie learning to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read it, but I'm so intrigued by your review, I'm putting it in the TBR pile right now...

    sounds awesome! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. The books sounds terrific. Loved Les's clarity on antagonists. I see a character's flaw as being the antagonist in some cases. Man vs. Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, thought this was a fabulous book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie, I love your observations. The one about antagonists helped me realize something for my own WIP: an antagonist can be a virtue or concept, not a person! I didn't even think about that. I hope to read this book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not read this book - love your review/assessment of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, I'm going to have to reread this book soon.

    Love the paperback version of the cover. That makes me want to reread the book even more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book has been on my TBR forever. I really need to read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes yes yes! You totally nailed the lessons. This book haunted me with its beauty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow..I got to get this book....especially after you talked about pacing..."slowed it down until each touch, breath, and heartbeat was savored at an agonizingly slow pace. I literally held my breath...." loved this.

    Hope your Easter was a good one

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, I LOVED this book! I'm so happy that you read it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for posting about this book, sounds like a good read. Another to add to the tottering TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds great and you've given me food for thought on my antagonist. Hope you had a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved this book, too. I read it as a pivotal point in my WiP's creation, so my WiP is written in both verse and prose, too. It truly inspired me. I went back and read the first chapter of this book several times because I was so in awe of how she sucked me in.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this book SO much. The lessons you've pulled out are great. My WIP doesn't have a real antagonist either and this book is a perfect example of how that can work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love love love this book! For the pacing and the way it's written. And the story is gripping too.
    My aim is to write like Jandy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I truly learned a life lesson in this book. It's such an amazing, beautifully written book! I recommend this book to anyone who wants a romantic and life learning experience (in a book) haha :)Hope you all read it!!

    ReplyDelete