Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rejoice in your voice!

When I hear a recorded version of my voice, I hate it. It sounds weird, and I immediately clear my throat trying to make it better. But my voice is my voice, and there’s not much I can do about it. I’m sure my husband would love to hear less of it, but that’s another story.


I attended an SCBWI writer’s day this past Saturday. Libba Bray was one of the amazing speakers. One thing she said stuck with me, and I’ll paraphrase: “Your voice is unique. No one else can write the way YOU write.”


I’m always admiring other writers. When I read a novel by Jodi Picoult, I marvel at her ability. Her voice draws me in. Her books make me think long and hard about previously held opinions. I wish I had her voice, but I don’t.


Instead, I have my own voice. When I speak, I might sound like one of the annoying crows that lands on my grass. But when I write, my voice is truly my own. Although I’m amazed by other writer's voices, I realize I can’t try to be like them. I've learned to rejoice in my own voice!


8 comments:

  1. This is a great thing to remember! It's the one thing you always have as a writer, even if you're struggling in all other areas (which I often am!) Thanks for reminding me... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, from the looks of "Delaney Collins, F.G." it looks like you've mastered voice. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy's awesome. So are you. So is Libba Bray. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And while we're at it, so are you. Now, let's hug it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but discovering your true voice is the challenge of all writers. Even after four pubbed novels, I still struggle. And I don't dare read a novel with a powerful voice while I'm writing ... because then I wind up imitating. Not good at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, great advice! Maybe that's part of my problem, reading someone else's amazing words while I work to write my own. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Julie! I am so glad to have stumbled across your blog tonight! I am new to the "blogging world" and would love for you to check out my site. I look forward to following your posts and wish you the most success in your writing career! Have a wonderful weekend, Tory
    www.toryminus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete